Skip to main content
Skip table of contents

Licensure and Certification

Obtaining National Certified Counselor (NCC) Credential

Refer to the National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) for current national requirements: NBCC Home Page

Students who wish to obtain the National Certified Counselor (NCC) credential must:

  1. Complete the Master’s program in Counseling.

  2. During the last spring or fall semester of the counseling program or after graduation, take and pass the National Counseling Exam (NCE).

  3. When notified by NBCC, complete the Endorsement forms and submit transcripts.

  4. Contact NBCC for more detailed application procedures.

Obtaining Licensure as a Clinical Mental Health Counselor (CMHC) in Utah

Licensure requirements vary by state. The RMU Counseling Program meets the coursework (see Clinical Mental Health Counseling Curriculum) requirements for the state of Utah, as well as for many other states. Please review the Utah Department of Commerce, Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL), Clinical Mental Health Counselor website by clicking here. If you intend to work in another state, please review that state’s website and speak with your advisor.

Obtaining Licensure as a School Counselor in Utah

School counseling certification/licensure standards also vary by state. The RMU Counseling Program meets the coursework (see School Counseling Curriculum) requirements for Utah. Please visit the following to learn about specific certification/licensure requirements for Utah: Utah State Board of Education (USBE)

JavaScript errors detected

Please note, these errors can depend on your browser setup.

If this problem persists, please contact our support.